My word, this phrase ‘Technology Enhanced Learning’ , or ‘enhancing Learning with Technology’ is really getting my goat! Why? I hear you ask … Surely that’s the role, or one of the roles, of technology in schools;- to enhance pupils’ learning? It gets my goat for several reasons; It harks back to the 1980s when technology was still new and untried. We saw it as a new resource and a new tool which could be used to enhance or reinforce what the pupils were already being taught. Surely we have moved on from this in the last 30 years! Almost invariably when I hear people talk about technology enhanced learning, they’re talking about teaching rather than learning. The discussion usually centres upon how the teacher can utilise the technology to present learners with materials or resources which reinforce or extend what has previously been taught. There’s nothing wrong with this, of course, but if we’re going to talk about the learning being enhanced by technology let’s focus on how the learner uses that technology. The main reason, though, that the phrase seems to annoy me is that it suggests that the learning is okay, dare I say satisfactory, without the use of any technology. Technology is regarded as an ‘add-on’ only to enhance the learning. I daresay it may often be used only to enhance the learning of some learners, maybe the ‘high-flyers’ or the ‘low attainers’ and then, only if time allows. I am fully convinced that nowadays and in the future, technology cannot be regarded as merely an add-on or as just an enhancement to teaching and learning. To my mind, the use of technology is far more fundamental to education and to learning both within and outside of schools.
- iSchool showcases technology-enhanced learning (fox13now.com)
- Operationalising good practice in technology-enhanced learning and teaching (ictenhancedlearningandteaching.wordpress.com)
- Is Technology-Enhanced Learning Effective? What the Research Says about TEL (hollymccracken.wordpress.com)
- Resetting Education: How tech is changing the paradigm (vator.tv)
- Does Technology Improve Learning? No! (brightfutures4me.wordpress.com)
- The Use of Ict in Teaching (solomoninusa.wordpress.com)